Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Baltimore, MD

How to Verify a Professional's License in Baltimore?

The Maryland Department of Labor regulates the activities of more than 255,000 individuals and businesses across 25 professions in Baltimore through its Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing. These include professionals like architects, electricians, HVACR technicians, home improvement contractors, plumbers, and engineers. Before you hire a professional in Baltimore, you should always verify that this professional has been issued the prerequisite license required for the intended job. You can do this by making use of the Licensing Queries webpage provided by the Maryland Department of Labor.

Additionally, the Baltimore City Department of Housing and Community Development issues mandatory permits for several types of projects. These include projects that involve the construction and alteration of commercial and residential structures in the city, electrical, mechanical, and plumbing work that takes place in these structures, and grading or excavation-related projects. Note that your professional may be required to complete a registration process with this department before being issued with these permits. You can direct questions concerning the permit-issuing process and requirements to the Baltimore City Department of Housing and Community Development at (443) 984-1809 or via email.

Maryland Contractor License Search:

Do Baltimore Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

Baltimore has several community associations and organizations, and you can utilize the city's Community Association Directory to get information on these community associations and organizations. Community groups, associations, and organizations are typically comprised of individual residents, business owners, owners of real property, and other interested stakeholders in a particular area of the city that work together to enhance and improve their respective neighborhoods. However, the activities of these groups, associations, and organizations do not include issuing construction or building permits. In August 2021, it was reported that 10 community group and organization leaders in Baltimore had won M&T Bank and Aspen Institute's Weaver Awards for their community-building activities in the city. On the other hand, the president of the Marble Hill Community Association had to step down from this position after being arrested for bringing a loaded handgun into the Abel Wolman Municipal building.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Baltimore?

You can file complaints on unfair business practices in Baltimore with the Consumer Protection Division of the Maryland Attorney's General Office. These complaints can either be filed online or by downloading and mailing an appropriate complaint form, along with copies of any relevant documents, to:

  • Consumer Protection Division
  • 200 Saint Paul Place
  • Baltimore, MD 21202

Queries can be directed to this office via phone number (410) 528-8662 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m., Mondays to Fridays, or via email. It is important to note that this office does not accept complaints via email.

Alternatively, you can file consumer complaints against professionals in Baltimore with the Maryland Department of Labor. This agency provides several types of complaints forms and you can file your complaint by following the instructions on the appropriate form relevant to your matter.

Note that the length of time it takes these agencies to resolve a complaint as well as the outcome of the resolution process is primarily dependent on the complexity of the complaint and the willingness of the parties involved. Also, even though the Consumer Protection Division of the Maryland Attorney General's Office typically employs mediation and arbitration methods to resolve consumer complaints, it is not permitted to provide legal advice or serve as private lawyers on individual cases. As such, if you are unsatisfied with the outcome of the resolution process, you can take further action by consulting with a private lawyer and filing a lawsuit in a Baltimore Court District Court. If you are seeking claims for $5,000 or less, you can file a small claims case with these District Courts.